What is the name of your business and when was it founded?
My name is Kisha Love Lee, I am the CEO and Founder of Onyx Urban Media Group (previously Purpose Productions) – Founded in 2012 & Onyx Urban Radio – Founded in 2020. Our business is located in North Carolina, United States of America.
1. Please, can our readers get to know you? Briefly introduce yourself to our audience.
I am a 45 yr old black woman. I have one child and am engaged to be married in March 2021. I wake up every day full of gratitude for life. I’ve had a lot of failures in life having dealt with divorce, rape and homelessness but I’ve had just as many successes.
I’ve been labeled as fearless by many. It’s not that I’m fearless, it’s just that I don’t allow my fears to deter me from going after any goal or dream that I have set for myself. I truly believe my superpower is that I am not afraid to fail and I don’t sit back and think about what could go wrong and or how much work it’s going to take. If it’s something I want to do, I do it and focus on what I need to do to make it happen.
2. What exactly are you into? What is your business all about?
For Onyx Urban Media Group – I am an awarding winning and published photographer and an awarding winning producer for the web show Purpose TV. I’m also a videographer, a photo & video editor, show host and a website & graphic designer.
For Onyx Urban Radio – I am the podcast editor, programmer, show host and producer. I literally run everything for both companies by myself.
3. What inspired you to get started?
Let me first say I never had a desire to be a business owner, it just so happened to be a byproduct for what I saw myself doing with my life. Well, it started when I was 17 and rented a video camera for a family vacation.
I barely put the camera down. It gave me so much joy but took many years before I realized it was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. ‘Purpose Productions’ started right after I shot the first season of my web show. Seeing the producer edit the footage, all I wanted to do was learn that process. I went from being in front of the camera to being behind the camera. I fell in love with the creative process and haven’t looked back since.
Now, for Onyx Urban Radio…early part of last year I had the opportunity to host and produce my own radio show Sensual Seductions and totally fell in love with it. About 4 months later, that station went on hiatus which broke my heart. In an attempt to keep my show going and finding another platform, I decided to create my own station and Onyx Urban Radio was born.
4. What is your educational background?
I attended School Of Communication Arts & graduated in 1995. I am certified in Computer Graphic Arts and Animation.
5. What are your motivations?
My daughter is my main motivation. As her mother, I can’t just tell her that she can do anything; I have to show her and be the example. She grew up most of her life seeing her mom accomplish goal after goal and dream after dream. Seeing my life first hand, she can never say there is something she can’t do.
6. What advice do you have for other people who want to do this same thing?
Put the time and effort into learning how everything works. When I started the station it was like going to school again. It was overwhelming at first but I did it. For the radio station I went through Radio.co to program my station and I used Wix for the website.
Don’t be too afraid to ask for help and it is ok if you don’t know something. It is a lot to learn but if a station is what you want and you have the time and resources…make it happen! As far as photography and videography, it’s about learning your craft. YouTube videos are truly a great resource for information.
7. Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
In 5 years I see myself having a very successful and well known mega media company bringing in a significant amount of money.
8. Any present or future projects?
I am in the process of re-launching my online magazine and within 5 years I plan to have an online streaming television station.
9. What is the biggest challenge you’ve experienced in your business as a person of color?
I am grateful to have not experience any major challenges being a female business owner of color.
10. Are you Married or Single?
11. How can we connect with you on social media?
12. What is your greatest accomplishment?
In business I’d have to say my 2 awards – Photographer Of The Year and Producer Of The Year. In my personal life, having and raising my daughter as a single mom while still accomplishing goals and dreams and working a day job. It’s a lot to juggle.
13. As a person of color, what advice will you give someone starting their own business or career?
1. Know assuredly that this is what you want to do and be sure that it gives you joy otherwise it’s just like working for someone else.
2. Don’t ask permission or for the opinions of others to go after your dreams. People will talk you right out of going after your goals by projecting their fears on you.
3. Do the homework/research on how to accomplish your goal.
4. Perspective – Do NOT look at your goal as if it is hard or not reachable. Don’t live in “what if”.
5. DON’T BE AFRAID TO FAIL. If you never fail then you’re not growing. It is not the end of the world that something you set out to accomplish didn’t work. Learn what you can from the experience and try again with a new perspective and a new way to accomplish your goal.
6. Try your best to stay in a state of gratitude. You have no idea how many this matters in everything that you do. You MUST take control of your thought process both in business and in your everyday life. If it’s something you really want to do, don’t allow anything to stop you and in the words of Denzel Washington “Dreams without goals is just dreams.” It may not be easy but it’s definitely worth it. Look at it this way…At the end of your life, do you want to look back and say “I wish I had done…” or “I remember when I started my own…” This is your life, live it to the fullest and enjoy it!