You can listen to the MelaninPeople Podcast’s interview with CEO Christopher Baker below.
1. Please, can our readers get to know you? Briefly introduce yourself to our audience.
I’m Chris Baker. Born and raised in Greenville NC. I went to North Carolina A&T State University from 2003 – 2009, where I received my Bachelor’s and a Master of Science Degree in Industrial Engineering. I joined the Beta Epsilon Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc in the spring of 2007.
I moved to Washington DC after school to work for the Department of Defense as an Industrial Engineer. While in DC, I earned an MBA in finance from George Washington University.
I started my real estate investment company in 2012 (officially in 2015) and I’ve been growing the company ever since.
2. What exactly are you into? What is your business all about?
I am into investing and growing my wealth (and other’s wealth). My business is just that, growing wealth through real estate investing.
3. What inspired you to get started?
My mentor inspired me when I saw him writing a check, on the spot, to pay for a duplex.
4. What is your educational background?
MS in Industrial Engineering, MBA in Finance
5. What are your motivations?
God, Family, Legacy
6. What advice do you have for other people who want to do this same thing?
Get educated. The internet is the most powerful tool to educate yourself.
7. Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
Managing a 100+ million dollar portfolio, with multiple investors.
8. Any present or future projects?
Recently purchased a 12 unit apartment building, we are leasing the final unit this weekend. We are currently in the process of acquiring a 50+ unit apartment complex.
9. What is the biggest challenge you’ve experienced in your business as a person of color?
Building initial relationships with banks.
10. Are you married or Single?
11. How can we connect with you on social media?
@seedougiebake on IG, @seedougiebake on twitter, See Dougie Bake on FB
12. What is your greatest accomplishment?
I have no one accomplishment I am most proud of. I think the sum of the events in my life makes me excited to be alive, so I am happy about that. I feel like I have yet to accomplish greatness.
13. As a person of color, what advice will you give someone starting their own business or career?
In the words of Reginald Lewis, “Be international”! Don’t hold one group higher that another and carry yourself accordingly. We are all on the same playing field.