1. Please, can our readers get to know you? Briefly introduce yourself to our audience.
I am a wife, mother of two small children, and a business owner. My husband and I manage our two businesses together. I enjoy learning, spending time with family & friends, and helping others be the best version of them.
I have a B.A. in Health & Human Services and I am a Certified Master Herbalist.
2. What exactly are you into? What is your business all about?
We create natural bath and body products for women and men.
3. What inspired you to get started?
My inspiration came from my son, who has eczema. It was difficult finding natural products in the store that would help calm his itchy, dry skin, so I started doing some research and began making my own and here we are.
4. What is your educational background?
B.A. Health and Human Services with a minor in Human Resource Management. I am also a Certified Master Herbalist.
5. What are your motivations?
My children and living a life that is pleasing to God.
6. What advice do you have for other people who want to do this same thing?
You have to love what you do. You must do research on the materials used in product creation, and learn safety regulations.
7. Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
Having a presence in a variety of retail locations. Growing our private label products and establishing relationships with other businesses. Most importantly, this will be working with a manufacturer to use my recipes for mass production.
8. Any present or future projects?
Presently we are working to add our second private label client. We are adding our products to Amazon Handmade to increase visibility. Future plans are to hire two part-time workers to assist in growing the business.
9. What is the biggest challenge you’ve experienced in your business as a person of color?
I can’t say that I’ve issues related to my color other than trying to gain new customers from other backgrounds is difficult.
10. Are you married or single?
11. How can we connect with you on social media?
FB @sweetbeatsugarscrubs IG www.instagram.com/sweetbeatsugarscrubs
12. What is your greatest accomplishment?
Other than becoming a mom …Lasting a year in this business… many days, I wanted to quit.
13. As a person of color, what advice will you give someone starting their own business or career?
Educate yourself. Knowledge is power. Don’t let other people’s negative opinions of you or your situation stop you from doing what is in your heart. Surround yourself with progressive thinkers. And pray!