1. Please, can our readers get to know you? Briefly introduce yourself to our audience.
Hello, My name is John Galvin, Jr. I am a real estate professional who enjoys visiting local restaurants, traveling, and a good live music show. Add some red wine, craft beer, bourbon or cigar and I’ll be very happy!
During my free time, I also like to watch sports, work out and volunteer for various causes.
2. What exactly are you into? What is your business all about?
I am really into connecting with people and seeing other people’s dreams come true. My business helps people buy, rent and sell property. For many of us, our home is where we relax, entertain, and create memories. I am always happy to advise people on the best way to find their home, where they feel most comfortable.
3. What inspired you to get started?
In 2009, I was the owner of a bar/restaurant in Baltimore MD. After a few years, I got out of the business but knew I didn’t want to go back to working in an office from 9-5p. I have always had an interest in real estate so I decided to pursue it.
4. What is your educational background
I am a graduate of SUNY Buffalo State with a Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice and I hold a Master’s degree in Sports Management from the University of New Haven.
5. What are your motivations?
I am motivated by the idea that I can help people realize their dreams. In some cases, I give people a second chance to provide housing for their family. I am also motivated by the flexibility I have in my schedule to enjoy family, work on my health goals and travel when I can.
6. What advice do you have for other people who want to do this same thing?
I would advise people to know all aspects of real estate. There are many different fields within the industry and you can have your hand in a few if you desire. I work as a licensed real estate salesperson, but I also offer property management and work with managing HOA’s.
7. Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years
In the next 5 years, I’d like to work in real estate development. Working to ensure quality housing is available for all and providing resources that help underserved communities with housing education. Ultimately, guiding these populations in the right direction for stable housing and home ownership.
8. Any present or future projects
Working on a Podcast that features some of my close friends from different industries. We would not only give an inside look into our respective professions but also, provide insight into current events, sports, societal issues and issues relating to men.
9. What is the biggest challenge you’ve experienced in your business as a person of color
The challenges are the same as they are in day to day life. I’ve had dealings with people that have preconceived ideas about my background and qualifications. I believe it is important to work/build on your confidence and be professionally prepared to shut those ideas down.
10. Are you Married or Single?
11. How can we connect with you on social media
12. What is your greatest accomplishment?
My greatest accomplishment is living my life the way I want to and being able to enjoy my friends and family to the fullest.
13. As a person of color, what advice will you give someone starting their own business or career
My advice would be to just stay true to your heart. Believe in yourself and do not let anyone tell you that you are not worthy of greatness. Always do business with people who are built with integrity and good character. Trust your gut.